Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 30, 2018

A bridge by any other name, is still a bridge.

Citicom 300i and of course, the Confederation Bridge, longest over ice road bridge in the world so I'm told.

I love to cook, almost as much as eating!
SUNNY days, warm nights, cooling breezes, good food,  beautiful scenery, inviting vistas, lots of corners, paved or otherwise, and a garage full of bikes.








BLISS!

Typical of the trails I look for here on the Island.



How can a dirt biker resist a mud hole...

We've been enjoying the longest straight, hot period I can remember on the Island since I moved back here in 2012.  I'm not talking Phoenix Arizona type heat but certainly warm enough for moi.

My Traveling V Strom or the Swiss Army knife of bikes 
Although at one time I would ride snowmobiles or race a studded tired MX bike around an ice oval or fish for, well... fish... at twenty below zero, certainly in my old age, I prefer to be a wee bit hot than a wee bit cold.



I try to rotate my street legal bikes so all of them get use during the summer months.  Unlike some people that can rack up tens of thousands of kilometers during a season, I spread out my mileage between several bikes (and cars for that matter) 
Yes, that would be highway 97... in British Columbia

Many people wonder why I don't have a Harley or Wing in my garage.  Simply because I have always enjoyed small, lighter bikes, both on and off road.  Don't get me wrong, in my early days when I would travel great distances, I had a BMW opposed twin, then later a 1976 full dress Yamaha Triple followed by another in 850 size.

I even rode a Yamaha YSR 50 (yup 49 cc) from the Island to Toronto for the '89 Yamaha dealer conference or a DT 50 (yup 49cc) for hundreds of miles in Baja!

Then later there was the Yamaha Venture Royale, and even a decked out Honda Gold Wing Aspencade.  Those bikes are fabulous for putting on miles solo or two up and I even had a Velorex sidecar to drag my kids around when they were young!

Never know where I may turn up!  Shore feels like my first marriage!!


As I get older I've developed some physical issues. As a result I've gravitated more and more towards smaller bikes.  Another reason I don't have an 1800 Wing, well simply... cost.  Having worked in the MC industry where everybody in it knows, enthusiasts work in the biz for the perks and love of the sport, not to get rich.  Instead of shelling out for a new Gold Wing or HD dresser, I can buy and ride a half dozen bikes and to me every bike does something different than the next.

Case in point...

Ron's (since sold) DL 650, back roads of B.C.

Mid week after servicing my 29 year old XT 600, Big Blue... I embarked on a trip to New Brunswick, headed for the north side of the Bay of Fundy. (highest tides in the world) I was specifically looking for a thread of a road that if you patiently zoom in far enough on Google Maps... you'll eventually find.

The total day's mileage I calculated would be about 275-300 km.  Of course about a third of that would be on gravel roads and some of it on what amounted to "tracks" with no signage and no clue which path  (there were several) I should be taking.

Even my GPS girl Candy, had no clue.  At one point the deeper I got in the woods the more insistent she was in having me turn around when possible.

I'm even pretty darn sure she eventually signed off by saying

"Sayonara baby... you're on your own!"

And here I was thinking... I didn't even know she spoke Japanese!



There was a reason the road was closed...


As it turned out my eventuall tally for the day was 458 kilometers!  Just a little more than I thought.



Even a Suzuki Savage can do the duty, it's all in your head.




I've covered a lot of ground on a huge variety of bikes and will continue as long as I can.

I meet a lot of riders that are in there seventies and even a few that are still twisting throttle in their 80's!!

We're finally beginning to see more smaller displacement bike coming down the pipe and it's about time.

I love going fast like many people but am smart enough to know the difference between a 'road' and a 'road race course'!

Hey... it's got a two stroke motor... nice!


Yesterday, Trevor (the revver) took me for an Island trail ride along a local utility line and right of way.  From there we puttered our four stroke singles (his a KLR 650, and mine an XT 225) pretty much everywhere that wasn't posted as closed!

Moral of the story here, as a long time good buddy often blurts out... "Ride Baby Ride!" 

I intend to!

Can you guess where/what this is?













No comments:

Post a Comment