Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Prince Edward Island


Winter damage, fallen tree.


PEI as we call her for short, is Canada's smallest province and in reality is tiny. 

... and another.


As the crow fly's (or gets windblown on some days) we're barely 250 miles from North Cape east to East Point.  Much of the Island is agricultural but there is also a thriving fishing industry, tourism is strong and there is even some hi tech repair and manufacturing.

Yet another!



Roads can vary from pavement as in the Trans Canada, small secondary roads and even some red clay back roads, my favorite.  There is something very peaceful and tranquil about meandering along at a low speed under a canopy of tall trees, knowing there is literally NO way to get lost but also in having the option to pick up a numbered highway or just putter away on 1 lane farm roads. You might come out onto a broad blue bay, or a new subdivision or perhaps a scenic overlook!

Quiet little back road trail crosses a stream.
Steep climb out.


A few minutes to rest...
I ride these clay roads sometimes for hours, hardly putting on big mileage but enjoying every nuance of the route, which may include wash outs, fallen trees, late spring snow or even the odd bike going in the other direction.

There is no "public land" on the Island so be aware of crossing on private property, often posted but sometimes not.  Typically for these back road rides, I choose my XT 225.  It is quiet, light of weight and easy to handle, has enough power channeled through a 6 speed gearbox to allow me to run at the Islands posted maximum of 90 kph (~55mph) My smallish fuel tank lasts all day, the engine hardly working hard delivering up to 100 mpg.

Steep and slimy too!  The Serow can handle it...


Hard to see but this pool had about 50 + trout laying in it.




I check out the various 'fishing holes' locally and although I don't fish anymore, I still enjoy seeing schools of brook trout in the clear fresh water.

Not exactly the Arizona desert but has it's own hazards.


A typical ride for me is across country away from route 2 the "All weather highway" as it's known locally and I avoid the TC1 sticking to the higher numbered routes.  Sure I may only run up 100-200 kilometers but that often takes me all day.

Deep ruts, wash outs.



RIDING the Island does not present the death defying treks I have down in Baja or the deserts of Arizona, but nevertheless I enjoy myself immensely, riding the red dirt on a bright sunny day. 

The lupines come out for a brief couple of weeks each year.

No comments:

Post a Comment