Powered By Blogger

Thursday, August 4, 2016

Dual Sporting the Island


A couple of weeks before, we were looking at the very same uphill climb. That day we watched a hard core cross country bicyclist literally carry his bike up the hill on his back.

Slick.


For me riding a 250 pound
XT 225 and especially Trevor riding a KLR 650, the bicyclist's feat was not an option!

With a near bald rear tire and over 400 lbs of plastic and steel, even though Stretch is a big healthy boy, the thought of having to paddle while slithering uphill seemed like more than our casual trail ride warranted.

The last of the snow melt disappeared in the interval, leaving the trail pretty dry, not sandpaper dry but there was only a small trickle downhill today, whereas our previous visit, it was a veritable stream.

I decided to try it and if it wasn't bad, Trev could come on ahead. The Serow possessed several advantages over the much bigger and heavier KLR.  Weight of course being one of them, a very tractable 6 speed transmission and new tires at both ends.



This trail is steep, filled with ruts from run off, has several slabs of shale in between exposed roots and is pretty narrow.  Generally when I ride this in the dry during summer, its an easy 2nd gear chug for me and the Serow (name of a Tibetan mountain goat FYI)

Trout river

I crossed the small creek at the bottom shifted into 2nd and picked a line.  On the way events (contact with a root or rock or mud) places you in a less than ideal position, key to trail riding is to not panic, look ahead and follow a line you picked in advance knowing full well that you'll find yourself having to alternate as the terrain demands.  I was about half way up when I bounced off my chosen path and clanged a large boulder with my right foot-peg.  It was a big enough bang that Trevor heard it from down the hill.

These things happen, years ago I nearly lost a foot on the other side of Bahia Conception hitting a big rock that was embedded in the sand like an ice berg, you only saw 10% of it!

Another time on a rocky uphill I tore the sole of my riding boot almost totally off.

Duct tape to the rescue! 

I parked the 225 at the top of the hill and walked part way down to get a couple of photos of Stretch going the other direction.

Trevor demonstrating the proper way to ride off road
With his 6' plus height he had no problem commandeering the big single right on past me and I huffed and

puffed half the hill to catch up with him.

We then headed down around the Millvale/Trout river back country, riding on small country lanes and trails where possible.  PEI has no crown land so you have to be cautious about riding someones property.  My rule is "if it's posted, I don't go..."

If not I often ride until I come out on some back country highway or some subdivision newly being built.



It's pretty hard to get lost on the Island although once in the woods on some farm road, its easy to lose your sense of direction.  Nothing like trying to find your way to Prescott  the back way on the Senator highway where you could very well get lost!


Typical riding in Arizona on my XT 350  BTW, that is my bike in the center of the photo!

Compared to riding the Arizona desert and Baja mountains, this is grade 3 level stuff.  The worst case scenario is a muddy bike or perhaps wet socks!


No comments:

Post a Comment