Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Surprise surprise... !



Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't that Gomer Pyle's common expression.  I don't remember for certain, but I am pretty sure Jim Nabor's who played the character on television sit com was an excellent singer as well as popular actor.

Well I got my own little surprise this afternoon.  

I wanted to check on our summertime only PT Cruiser touring in its winter storage (temporary) garage and what do I find... dirty and damp little toe nail paw prints leading up to the roof where Anna's old mattress is stored. And what do I see atop said mattress? 

A little 'bandit' sleeping away curled up into a compact ball.  Now I know that a cornered animal can be quite aggressive and even dangerous, so I kept my distance, while snapping a few photos for the album.

I can't be certain but it looked to me like he may have had a couple of puncture marks on his/her jaw and upper neck.  A check just a few minutes ago revealed an empty mattress but what I am thinking is this little clever and adaptive creature has been living there for awhile, rent free!

We don't have a lot of predators here on the Island, so small creatures like raccoons and skunks and fox can survive quite well.  Of course our property is in a rural location, we have hills and gulleys, forest and apparently, Frank made hiding dens.  Of course the mattress would provide insulation, once the snow came down around the sides of the 10x16 enclosure, draft would have been minimal and the sun heating up the upper 'deck' would have kept the place sauna warm. 



I understand raccoons are as clever as our common fox, and this one certainly has taken advantage of what a human (myself) has provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment