Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Clarification!

Hi everybody out there... I just re read my last post and wish to make something a bit clearer for those that missed it.

I have Judy's kitten sleeping over.  Not Judy!

Geez some of you people...

Boo Boo

Holly has arrived.  Her flight was great, Calgary a short three hours north, and we immediately set to sorting the week and making plans.  One of the first things was to get groceries for her and riding the SUN L to the local mart proved to be our first unexpected, Mr. Murphy moment.  After loading the several bags in the underseat storage (no lifejacket there) and the remainder in the trunk, I kick started the little blue and silver bullet and promptly blew out the lights!

We're here after decades of thinking about it!

Yup, its' dark, roads are busy, and I have no instrument lights, no headlights and no tail light.  I do however have signal and brake lights.  How is this possible?

Thinking its got to be a disconnected gang plug, we ride home and with Hol putting away groceries and making dinner I begin the arduous task of removing bodywork.  Alas, after an hour of that and searching for the problem I spot a gang plug going to the regulator and there it is... not disconnected but also not connected.  The locking pin is broken!  Most likely this would have happened at the factory when built.  After wrapping it with electrical tape late at night, I left things till morning.

Always blending into Nature FLW.




Next day, that would be Tuesday, using her suggestion of calling around with Google via my laptop (did you know you can do this??)  I found a dealer in Phx that I had visited before and he had all the parts in stock.

My Phx buddy Dave graciously set us up with a vehicle for a few days and we headed over to get the bulbs and a new battery.  Very nice proprietor Kurt, helped us out and gave me some tips on the scooter as well.  I now know that within 30 minutes ride, there is a shop that offers sales parts and service if needed.  As it turned out, his store is 3/4 of the way to the Frank Lloyd Wright Taliesin center, which we toured yesterday afternoon and I must say, it was great.


Bought in the late 30's when Phoenix and especially Scotsdale were just dusty little desert towns, FLW and his disciples built an architecture school that even today, produces forward thinking future architects.

Off limits, but Holly is in there in spirit...


In fact my touring companion and daughter, is one of them.  She with her mate Kevin recently finished 4 years of a Masters program at Dalhousie university in Halifax Canada.  Congrats to them both and I'm absolutely certain that both these bright stars will benefit mankind as the years move ahead.



We drove home during late afternoon, the sun sinking into the West over one of the many local mountain ranges, and us in slow moving gridlocked traffic on the 101.  Had it not been for the traffic, it could easily have been a Zane Grey moment!

Water supplied by aquifer.


Onto other news...

Sunday prior to Holly's arrival I took apart the dual carburetors on the XT 350.  The bike wasn't running particularly well when I bought it and I've been finding little things that were done in the interest of leanness for emissions inspection likely but as a result the bike ran poorly in some conditions, like when I was heading out to the Superstitions and she wouldn't climb hills.  It did however deliver 80 miles per Imperial gallon, which although great fuel mileage, could be deadly to the engine!

What did I find... you ask, well turns out my theory of tiny main jets was proved false in fact the primary main was slightly over sized and at some point washers added under the single position needles giving a richer mid range, where the problem began.

Amazing auditorium, the acoustics are great!


Closer inspection revealed the securing plate was loose and as a result would have let the needle float considerably as it was drawn up thru the inlet!  After making a thorough inspection, I took care to secure all the parts and my test ride yesterday morning, promised a much improved XT experience.  The bike now literally rockets to 70 mph and accelerates properly from mid range speeds, whereas before there was no question of pulling out and passing anyone but a bicyclist and even that would have been a near impossibility going uphill!

Much of the buildings dates to the forties.

With only 21 cubic inches at hand, the little DOHC 4 valve twin carb single, needs all the help it can get.  Output although not advertised would have been right around 20 or so bhp.  Given the six speed transmission and light weight and it's intended use, its very important that things work as planned.

Here's a lesson in all this... if you are going to use equipment of any type, even if its a screwdriver or computer, you should at least make an attempt to understand the principles and be prepared to troubleshoot if required.  Most of my repairs over the years have been a result of training and experience and of course, common sense to diagnose problems.

Looking forward now to some longer distance trips while here and perhaps this fall, but certainly next, gearing up for another Baja road trip.



Proud Dad with architect daughter

No comments:

Post a Comment