Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The AZ B.C. part 2

One of the prime reasons I kept watch on property values in and around Phoenix and was eventually able to buy, was the opportunity to ride a motorcycle in our Cdn winter months.


For more than a decade, it was only a pipe dream, but I kept my vigil and was always hopeful.  I had been thru the area several times over the years and had even purchased a Honda C-70 Passport in red, to go along with my living room model, in yellow.






That bike I bought over e-bay from the Phx area in '06.  When I drove down to pick up the bike, I remember thinking again, 'some day I am going to have a home here...' 

As with many occurances in life, opportunities come and go, the intentions may be there, but the timing is not.

So it was with the AZ dream.

It wasn't until the melt down otherwise known as the "sub prime mortgage crisis' came about, that my opportunity arrived.

Housing prices in the US tumbled.

I bought.

I finally had my southern base of operations.  Since the days I had read Frank Conners writing  about riding the roads of the Southern US including route 66, the Superstition mountains, the Florida Keys... I always wanted to do this.


















Last year I came down with my buddy Tom, furnished the place, set up a bank account, geared up the utilites and sampled the motorcycling.












This year I was here hosting Liz and her youngest sister Cindy, who wanted to celebrate her 40th somewhere other than home, and who had suggested maybe Uncle Frank's place in AZ.






Brenda and Anna followed, and once they'd returned home, I went shopping.







The scooter was my first purchase and the XT followed.  By having a couple of bikes locally tagged and insured, it makes things simpler than having to bring bikes down from Canada each year.










I was heading home shortly, and this weekend was my last chance to do some local riding.  I could spare one day... and not even a full one at that.














Once licensed and insured, back pack in place, XT and I headed west.  I wanted to check out some of my riding spots from years previous.




I turned left on Olive ave, the main intersection just north of me.  At the end of the road, literally I found the entrance to White Tank regional park and lo and behold, a beautiful public library and information center.










The library looked like something from FLW's sketch book, clean bright, airy and brand new! 

I wasn't interested in the books as much as the building and surroundings.











The regional park has hiking trails, mountain biking including a serious downhill park, camping and picnic areas.  For day trippers, a worthy destination. 




Obviously a popular spot, even for Cdns...





Today's destination for myself was further west than this park.

It was to the White Tank mtns to ride the desert...






Now isn't this novel!

No comments:

Post a Comment