Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Arizona Biker Chronicles...

Nope, this isn't going to be one of them, "Bad Ass, Coke snortin', tearing up some town, falling down drunk, acting like a bunch of 1% Hawg riding weekend wannabe Hell's Angel" * kind of Blog.







This... is a whole lot of other kinda bikin' story/blog.


It was near time to leave, as in vamoose, make for home, three... mebbe four days on the road. 

I'd ridden the little Adventure scooter over 200km since picking it up a couple of weeks ago.  It's really quite cool.  My first fill-up shows about 78mp US gallon.  Pretty good I'd say wouldn't you.  I expect it will improve slightly once I get a few hundred K on the engine.  It pulls well, has absolutely no problem leaving Vettes behind at green lights, good acceleration to about 70kph where it flattens out a little bit, but will eventually hit tops speeds close to 100K me thinks. 


I've had the speedo showing 90kph but I think that is a bit optimistic, felt more like an actual 80-85.  James had said that some customers claimed they could do 65mph, that's about 110kph.  I have my doubts about that, and hey, I don't weigh all that much compared to some of the guys I've seen riding these!




 It's powered by a fan cooled, four stroke single with the typical scooter belt drive auto trans.  Kinda like Lisa's Dodge Calibre.


Braking is a simple single leading shoe rear and a hydraulic front disc.  Never mind that is says ABS on the front fender, it isn't.  Those clever Chinese marketing gurus...  It does stop well enough for the speed it develops.  The fuel tank hold about 1 Imperial gallon I think, I know it took just over 1 US gallon when I filled it, the only time.  Reliability... we shall see.  Of course the largest market by far in the world for scooters and two wheelers in general is the Chinese home market, if that's any indication.




One of the best things about this little thing is the lighting.  The headlights operate on both beams and the turn signals, two rear and FOUR front, are very bright.  I've had several comments on it's looks from passerby and more than one person has been fooled at the displacement... the decal looks like 750, but again those marketing whizzes are only playing games with us.




You may notice the oversized aluminum looking racing exhaust.  Here again it's really overkill as the thing is so dang quiet, I sometimes turn the throttle to see if it accelerates to be sure the engine is still running.


You will notice my plate number... it was purely random and is no indication of my mental state at the time!

The bike came with a cavernous lockable color matched trunk.  That and the underseat storage is enough for several bags of groceries, just don't try carrying lumber on it! 

*Standard disclaimer for these guys "No offence boys."

No comments:

Post a Comment