Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 20, 2019

Hard decisions.

This it the northern shore (Blooming Point.) and outer sand dunes.  Not much rise in sea levels to wipe this all out.
I can't tell you how many motorcycles I have ridden in my life.  I wouldn't have a clue.  Even how I got into the "sport" was an odd co-incidence. If you've read this blog for a long time, you will know the story of Butch and Kelly.  Kelly was my next door neighbor growing up in Edmonton Alberta.  She was maybe 15-16 and me... 10 or 11.  Butch was her boyfriend for awhile, could have been a summer or two, which to a refugee kid growing up in a strange city was a lifetime. 

Queen's Point

Ohhh... we wanted to be older, my friends and I.  Steve, Calvin, Greg and the others, like Butch, and have a girlfriend like Kelly. 

End of the road mate!

He would have been late teens I would think.  Did he go to school, I have no clue, what I do know is he had a Honda CB 160, black and chrome with the most significant thing about was the lack of mufflers.  Yup, his pipes were cut off right after the header, kind of like a shorty today. He would pull up to the curb at her house, sit on the saddle of the Honda while propped up on the side stand, lighting up a "fag" and puff away waiting for her.  I can't ever recall him going to the house, maybe as far as the gate, that's all.  When he'd drop her at night, the CB would belch flame with each shift. I can still see the flame from the pipes as he'd wind it to the red zone, shifting each gear. 



Butch... was cool.   

Later at 15, when I had already been riding for 2 seasons, I also briefly had a g/f .  Her father was pleasant enough with me, but the day I showed up on my bike (I think it was the Suzuki A 100) street scrambler, her Dad chased me out of the yard with a broom, or maybe it was a shovel or rake... that I don't remember.  Seems I was good enough to tolerate, but not date his girl!

In those early days, to have a bike longer than a season, was unusual.  Any money I earned went right into my motorcycling.  By the time I was 16 (began at 13) I had a 1968 Suzuki X-6, a bike known then as the Hustler. 

Very cute little camp ground.  Expect to see Uncle Buck at any moment!

It was a two stroke twin which wasn't unusual, but what set it apart from everything then was the 6 speed gearbox.  Of course it also had CCI.  No more guessing or filling a tank cap with oil for the engine's lubrication needs. Next bike was a 305 Big Bear Yamaha with up swept exhaust one to each side. 

Don't get no prettier than this.

After that my first new bike, a T 350 (actually 315 cc over bored Hustler) Titan.

Brings me up to today. 

I just recently traded my 6 speed, Suzuki DL 650 V Strom that I have had for several years.  Great bike, but for this space in my life, too heavy and too tall, being an ADV bike.

To replace it I have acquired a 6 speed Honda 300, very light... fun and excellent handling.  Not particularly fast but certainly more manageable and most definitely better suited to my age and ailments!

One day I'll do all the churches of P.E.I.
I also have a SYM 300 and a Piaggio MP3. 

As much as I liked the DL, it was time for her to find a new garage.

I live in the country.  There are many back roads on PEI either paved or not.  Two days ago I spent most of the day riding the Honda 300.  I even managed to do about 15 km connector on dirt/sand roads between pavement. 

Nice so see the old bikes still running.

What a swell day.  Warm enough to wear light riding clothes while cool enough to be covered. 

My bikes have to be fearless! Even the CBR has to do some dirt.

Thinking back to my very early days, riding first around the City of Edmonton,then venturing farther out beyond the city limits and eventually the Rocky Mountains, over 300 km distant. It was so great to have the freedom to be on my own, exploring.   I put a lot of mileage on the small bikes and have always enjoyed riding just for the pure pleasure of it.

During my CBR ride of just over 210 km distance covered, but no yardstick with which to measure that joy it brought me.


Trout pond.

I find people to talk too wherever I go, in this case, a couple of gals at Queen's Point just outside of Grand Tracadie, on a very secluded beach.  A young guy riding an "older than him" Nighthawk 450 in pretty decent condition. (Photographed at the church in Bloomfield Point.)

Came across this pretty Dutch girl filling her water truck at the pond.  Hi Marika!
Brenda proposed to me in the top left room in 2011... I said I'd have to think about it.

Entering Mt Stewart.

If your passing by, stop in at the bakery and tell Bev, "The Dr. sent you!"




No comments:

Post a Comment