Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 31, 2015

Rain Rain go away...



It's raining yet again. 

Good thing Brenda and I went for a ride on the V Strom yesterday.  Looks like my proposed grass maintenance planned for this morning may have to wait yet another day.







Since my return from my long distance Western exploration and visits with old friends, there has been precious few opportunities to ride a bike any distance.  I've had to replace yet two more batteries, making 5 in total this season.  Seems that even trickle charged, I replace a few each year either on four wheels or two.



Holly and Kevin have been on the Island since last week when we drove to Moncton to pick them up from a NYC arrival.  They drove to Halifax yesterday morning and because Anna was at horse riding camp for the week, I pulled the Suzuki from the line-up, quickly registered her via the net and paper in pocket, loaded the 'missus' on the pillion and headed for a ride.

It was a perfectly nice day yesterday, the first since my return and even though the grass is beckoning I made a decision to wait and twist throttle instead.



We rode cross country over hill and dale, in mid twenty degree temperature and it struck me yet again, like lightning, how incredibly beautiful this little Island is.  From green manicured lawns of acreages to forest to potato fields to yellow seas of canola.  You can't help but admire this jewel here in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence.  Maybe I'm mellowing in my aging state but seems each and every year I grow more grateful for the time I've had exploring this little blue orb rocketing around the sun.

There were plenty of bikes on the main routes but only one, ours bouncing our way on potholed pavement, hard packed clay roads and twisty sweepers as we passed through Glen Valley, Breadalbane, Bonshaw and Victoria by the Sea.



Here I rode onto the pier, parked the big Zuke and found us a table with bright pink chairs at the Lobster Barn Pub.  Hectic is was too, but we were able to gain a table for two in short order, although it was in and not outside where we would have preferred the view of the sandy harbor floor. the tide was most definitely, out!





The meal was better than good, but not quite 'delicious'... however our walk through Victoria in the fading sunlight, very pleasant.  I remember Victoria by the Sea from my first stint on the Island as a creepy, dirty, unpleasant odorous shanty village, that was home to a few lobster boats, some decrepit fish shacks and nothing much else.



You'd not believe this to be the same place and in fact, it's not.  The Heritage homes are refurbished with bright coats of paint, the Playhouse attracts a huge crowd, there's the chocolate shop, several cafes and a couple of very decent restaurants of a far higher quality than exists in the tourist zone opposite on the north shore. Judging by the crowds wandering through the streets, the tourist business is in full swing at least in Victoria by the Sea.



On our way home we passed through Crapaud, Westmoreland and Kinkora where we stopped in at Trevor and Erins home, they were a.w.o.l.

As we were passing through Kensington we decided to see how Isabelle was doing after her knee replacement a week ago.  Fine it seemed, she was doing jumping jacks when we arrived (j/k)

A very pleasant day as the sun slowly sunk into the west as it has for millions of years, the Suzuki back in her stall and Brenda and I a rare occasion on our own.

PEI may well be a small province but she sure is big on beauty!




Come visit...


No comments:

Post a Comment