Powered By Blogger

Friday, September 21, 2012

And you thought this was going to be a cinch right...

So far... my life on the Island has been, shall we say... a wee bit of a struggle. 

Between trying to sort out an internet connection;

"That will be no problem Mr. Simon/There is a problem Mr. Simon")

a greater understatement hasn't been heard since an anonymous tech at Nasa Control blurts "Houston, we've had a major malfunction..."  as the shuttle explodes into gazillions of particles.

Being told by 5 reps for a year, high speed internet at our location was A okay,  only to find that it's anything but.

I'm long out of step with the Island it seems, where nothing is how it seems.  More on that later...

Suffice to say, everyone survived and even after a short discussion of selling our very new house and going our separate ways, Brenda and I have also made it over the hump so to speak.

Anna is in school, there are horses about, we may yet someday get connected.  The battle is on with the contractors that in the words of one of my long time friends, "charged premium prices for mediocre work." 

The OBN* has been at work, having got a phone call from the chief Electrical inspector for the Island about 3 minutes after telling the electrical contractor that I was unhappy with his work, to inform me that their job (his department) was to ensure that "contractors were treated fairly and got paid for their work.

To which I replied, 'I thought your job was to protect the consumer...?'   




"Oh yes, that too..."

I spent some time with my buddy Mike, got him sorted with a nice used V Star (read Virago) 650 Custom that he bought from a nice young woman in Vernon River.  Mike first bought a CB900C (10 speed) about a day before I arrived, a bike although decent, that is too top heavy and bulky for a guy that once rode an Exciter 250.  Thirty years ago. He bought the Honda from a local dealer, they really should have sold him something else.  A struggle ensued, no one died... yet.


Just call me... "Big Daddy"

I can see it now... Nevin on his Wing, Mike his V Star, Trevor on his Intruder, and me on my ThunderBird...

"I can't get back up, give me a hand will ya?"

 Is there a CDN version of the "Mild Hawgs" in the making?!


*OBN Old Boys Network



No comments:

Post a Comment