Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 2, 2020

SPRING is taunting us...




I saw 17C on my Piaggio's MP3's dashboard. That was inland.  Next to the Northumberland Straight, that dropped to an even 10C. That's 50F.  Not exactly balmy... and the only surfing I was going to be doing was on my keyboard!



But consider that winter here takes the better part of 6 months.  That's why it was sooo great having a down south home in Glendale (PHX) AZ. for nearly 11 years.





The ability to take advantage of being south in the 'shoulder' season was a capital bonus to me.

When I was younger, I rode various parts of the Baja Peninsula a dozen times. Cabo, once and several times the mid or north. I'd split lanes in CA and never froze once.

Since those days I ridden many back roads and trails and fire roads centered around PHX.

Now that I sold my southern home, you can chalk another one up in the books.

Now, my riding is going to be closer to home, many reasons for this... my health. The health of my 2 remaining cats, and various other circumstances have pushed me into a different reality, and just because it looks a lot like Frank at 14, riding the city of Edmonton and as far around that point Elk Island national park, Sylvan Lake, maybe even as far as Jasper... the new (old) me will be happy.  My stable of bikes has been changing as well.  The DL 650 V Strom was a great ride for many years but she'd moved on to new advantage (hopefully) for someone this year I will finally let go of the Thunderbird, much as I hat to do, but what's the point in have it collecting dust.  I already have a few old classics, now on to younger classics.

Like the one directly below...



THE MP3 always fascinated me.  Light she isn't, but the ability to 'lock' the three wheeled scooter in various positions is nothing short of amazing.  True it took me about a week or three to feel confident.  Over 500 pounds that's in the range for many motorcycles including my Triumph Thunderbird but the stability is uncanny.  I can push the MP around the garage is as easy as my TTR 125.  Even my 405 lb SYM 300 is hard to manage weighing nearly 3 times a "me".




It's true... I'm not getting younger and also true that I will continue riding as long as possible.  I just ride smaller lighter machines.  I've always been a fan of small light bikes and except for the T-Bird and the MP3, everything is now under 500 lbs and most are under 400 lbs.



Pretty soon the grass will be green and growing, and I'll be out and about, Corona will be behind us and it will be a fresh start.

Cheers all!








No comments:

Post a Comment