Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Seen around the homestead.




THIS little creature is the Eastern American toad.  They show up around my home fairly regularly. 

About the size of my palm we usually spot him/her near the house, looking for insects and other small fry to feed on.  This particular one would come every night for about a week and forage in the short grass next to the garage.  They do have some venom so I desisted from picking him up.  I did however suggest to Brenda that she give him a kiss, in case the story of Prince is true.  She declined and said she already kisses her prince... which made me think, "who could that be?"

 


 POSING for some close ups, he was actually quite fast and I found it difficult to get a real still.



THESE toads have venomous pores on their backs and be unpleasant but not fatal if a dog or fox for example, where to pick one up in their mouths.





 

THEN we have this juvenile raccoon that must have taken a fright to have it climbing our deck posts in lieu of having a tree near by. 

He hung around for awhile and eventually descended and took off for the wooded hill side across from our home.


Raccoons are very common here, if roadside kills are taken as evidence.  I see them killed by the dozens each year on highways.











TYPICAL ground/tree squirrel, this particular one is part of a 'family' that has made themselves at home under my shed.

 


HERE we have a wasp's nest.  Finding them around every year is certainly not unusual but as you can see, these guys have taken up residence in one of my RV's storage compartments.

As a rule I don't kill wild life and I have been in and out of the trailer all year.  Rule of thumb is don't bug them and they won't bug you.




THEN there is this little guy.  A juvenile red fox I spotted riding my T Bird in the National Park, lazing about on a hot summer day on the pedestrian/bike path. 



ALTHOUGH he looks pencil thin, he seemed to be in very good shape, his fur was shiny and he was quite alert if some what tame.  I'm sure people feed them, however that's not being smart as a fox.

They are however common, we have had fox living on our property since moving here.  With the Coyote pair and their pups this year, our fox has been scarce.  Smart as they are, two or three coyotes can be a bit much even for a fox.



 PRETTY nonchalant at my standing just off the path taking his photos, must be used to this by now.




No comments:

Post a Comment