Powered By Blogger

Friday, September 30, 2016

Bound for Cape Breton.

Danny and Dana's home Rain clouds gathering.


I didn't have a full tank when I left the Island.  The DL 650 is good for several hours in the saddle, well at least the tank-age is.  My butt... not so much.  I am going to look for a pull back extension to move the stock handlebars back and elevate them somewhat.  I find that with my short stature, the bars put me in a stretch position that in turn exasperates my existing back and shoulder problems.  I did think of installing a set of 'ape hangers' but rejected the idea after much thought :)

Storm clouds were gathering farther east as I pulled off at Antigonish and filled the tank.  I wouldn't have to stop for fuel until my return to the mainland in a few days.

Cape Breton tourist outlet.  Wonderful service!

From this pretty little town... I would explore more on the backside, it was but a short ride to the Canso causeway and the Island of C.B.  The Canso strait separates the island from the rest of Nova Scotia and once across depending on your destinations, you have several choices of route. 

Highway 19 will take you up the west side towards Cheticamp, before you cruise into the National Park on what is well known as the Cabot Trail, named after 15th century Italian explorer, John Cabot. Let me correct that, he was Genoese, Italy as we know it didn't actually exist at the time. 

Trans Canada route 105 will take you through the lovely community of Baddeck which is also famous.  This was the summertime home of Alexander Graham Bell and the frozen lake below the family estate was the site of the first heavier than air flight in an aircraft in Canada.  The Silver Dart was piloted by John McCurdy.

Shores of Bras d' Or lake

You can also choose the following route 104/4 to the Sidney area or from there, the historic Fort Louisburg just outside the town by the same name, is but a short detour.


Dan and Dana live just outside of Sydney Mines but I would be visiting them at their summer home on the Saint Andrew's Channel, an arm of Bras d' Or Lake, which by the way is actually a salt water inland sea that is reputed to have over a thousand kilometers of shore line! 

I've been to Cape Breton numerous times in the past and I must say, it has to be one of the most diverse geographically speaking Islands and certainly one of the most scenic that I have ever had the pleasure to visit.  Hordes of tourist come to soak up the beauty, the fresh sea air and the history of the Island.  Motorcyclist of course travel it in droves and though it may not be quite as famous as the Angeles Crest highway in California or the Blue Ridge Parkway in New England, nevertheless it is dang pretty.

Bailey Bridge 1 lane


Crossing the strait I was met with a fresher hint of rain in the air and soon after I was ducking around thunderheads and sometimes passing through rain showers or just skirting them.  I didn't stop to don rain gear, because
1) I didn't have any for one thing, and
2) I know from experience that here
 you could be heading for rain or sunshine and there was plenty of both today.  The temperature was in the mid 20's so an occasional dousing didn't turn the day into a poor experience.  I passed through Port Hawkesbury, then Soldiers Cove, Johnstown, Irish Cove and on to the Sydney area.  Finding the D's not at home I connected with them by cell and proceeded down the 223 to their summer digs just under Barrachois Mountain.  

Looking over St Andrews Channel


In the rain of course.  I turned off and shortly after crossing a Baily bridge I managed to ride down the steep rocky trail to their wonderful little cabin on the lake!

The Lake access road,  "She's all downhill from here lads!"

No sooner had I shut down than I was greeted by Dana (who was a student of my Fort Mac motorcycle training course waaaaay back when) and her husband Danny.  I hadn't seen them since coming through CB back in 2013 when my long time (also
 from FM) friend Ron Moropito and I, riding my Triumph and he on my VX 800 stopped in for a visit. 

Ron was on the East coast from his home in Kamloops British Columbia on holidays. 

Once I lounged out, I met Finnegan, Fonz and Miss Piggy (who is in actuality, a boy but with a complex



Gorgeous next morning.


The gang!!!


) Over the next couple of days, I got lots of furry attention during my stay!




No comments:

Post a Comment