Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Dan the Man

Biker Chick!  Kazue.


Dan... is a cancer survivor.  Nuff said about that.

Part of the old homestead.


We spent the day wandering around the Golden area.  Having lived and worked in these here parts for decades I will say, he's like the 'King of Kensington'

Covered bridge on the Kicking Horse river, murky with snow melt.


Much like the television actor, Dan is well known, liked and obviously respected, he has after all been keeping the roads clear for many winters past, working as he does on road and snow clearing.

Nice old Special XS 650


Seeing as it was Canada Day, our country's birthday celebration, Golden closed off its main street to vehicles and opened it to vintage cars, motorcycles, vendors and parties.  There were plenty of revelers sitting in outdoor cafes, pubs and restaurants and we had a pleasant lunch out of the boiling sun at a local establishment.

"We're going where?"


Later in the afternoon we drove to the top of a nearby mountain to get a great view of the valley.

Kinda tells this story doesn't it.


This is a prime beginning jump off (and I do mean that) spot for hang gliders (crazy) and downhill extreme bikers (crazier)  Much as he coaxed me nearer the edge, I felt that last 3 feet may keep me from the 7000' down that were to follow if I lost my footing.


This is the beginning of the run... it's 70 degrees nearly vertical!


Get's Steeper!!!

"Sorry pal, that's as close as I'm getting!"



Yeah... I can ride single cylinder motorcycle thousands of miles but I wasn't getting a foot closer to that precipice!

Cool local vintage stuff.


The drive down was hairier that the one up, but eventually we made it in one piece and I didn't toss my cookies, for which I will be forever grateful.

We were entertained by music then fireworks.



In the evening we headed once again to downtown Golden where I met still more of Dan's friends and many tourists in town for vacations around the hood.  As evening came we sat and listened to a one man band, and I have to admit, he was truly good.  We were entertained by old time rock and roll leading up to the evenings fireworks across the Kicking Horse river, white with snow-melt and run-off.

Canada Day in Golden


By the time we headed back for the night we were both pretty bushed.

The next day bikes were loaded and after a fuel stop we left Golden on the Trans Canada highway east.  Over the many years I traveled this route I never tire of the amazing beauty of the Rocky Mountains, snow capped, sun shining and of course breathtaking scenery.

Picturesque Field B.C.
Dan


We made good time even though there were several construction zones and the big guy kept his throttle hand in check on the Yamaha Raider, a bike many more times as powerful as the Suzuki I was riding.

After a brief stop in picturesque Field, one of my favorite places on the planet, for a sticky bun and coffee, we left BC behind and crossed into Alberta.  Passports and Visa's up to date... no smiling in your photos, duty free smokes and booze packed.

Our next stop was Banff, but not before riding the Johnston Canyon parkway. 

Banff of course well known world wide, was plenty busy with the summer tourist season in full swing but we did manage to find the Flour bakery and cafe where we waited for my long time friend, Kazue.

I had a special surprise for her, fretting that I may not recognize her, after all she is Japanese and this was Banff...

Not to worry, when she pulled up on her pedal bike I greeted her like a long time friend, a lot of water having passed the town down the Bow river since.  I first took her to the Suzuki and she was so surprised to see me riding her old bike, the very same one she had ridden across Canada so many years before during the time we had first met.

We joined Dan for a tea and had a very nice catch up visit.  Never seems to be enough time... you could live 10 lifetimes and not get it all in!

Dan said his farewell's, he was doing the second third of the Golden triangle (Golden Banff Radium and home leaving me for a time to sit with the girl herself alone.

Alas it was time for us to depart, I'm certain a tear formed in Kaz's eyes if not for me then certainly for her old wheels.



I would be in Calgary and Lisa's new home by late afternoon...





No comments:

Post a Comment