Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Defeated!



FOR anyone that has known me a long time... you know I hate to admit defeat.  Whether it was in the blocks set for a 100 yard dash, on the starting line of



 a muddy Moto-cross race, or facing the aftermath of a winter blizzard.

We've had several major snow storms in the last few weeks, usually with a bit of respite in between.  A couple of days, maybe even a week.  I've been able to clear my driveway each time with my little 24" blower and ATV blade.

That has changed this latest storm.

I'm not certain what the "official" stats are nor do I really care.  It started Saturday evening shortly after we returned from Moncton and the Motorcycle show, which by the way, we were snow dumped out of last year at the same time.  Seems mid February is proving to be the heaviest snow falls.








The snow stopped sometime in the wee hours of Monday morning and we spent 'family day' inside and warm while the wind blew drifts high.  It wasn't even this morning but yesterday afternoon that announcements were being made that schools and all non essential services would be closed today, Tuesday as well.  In fact plows are only on the roads for emergency purposes!



I woke this morning actually excited, the sun was shining and even though the 'mercury' is in the minus mid teens, it is a decent winter day.  After fueling the quad and blower, doing an oil level check and donning my gear, I first shoveled the back deck which is fairly well protected.  This was my first concrete hint that today... maybe, I would have to call in the troops.

Hard, crusty, clogging the shute, I labored for an hour just to clear a 15' wide path in front of the garage. Being able to only propel the snow 5-10' means I would be clearing heavily compacted blown snow several times over to get anywhere near the 25-30' width of my driveway.  By 9 am, I'd stuck my head in the door and yelled up at Brenda to call in Donny Cole, to come by with his tractor mounted blower whenever the roads were plowed enough to allow him in.  It probably won't be today and maybe not even tomorrow.



Discretion being the better part of valor here, means I take it slow shoveling and admit that this time, for the first time since my arrival three winters ago... I have to pull back and let the big guns in.

Did I mention I hate to admit defeat...   

No comments:

Post a Comment