Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Do Dreams have an expiry date?




It seems almost every week now I am wondering what it will be like leaving the west behind?  I think about riding my Serow on the KVR towards Kelowna, puttering on my 50, the back way into Princeton, that amazing lookout atop Osooyos, along with a hundred other great memories.  I sure liked biking BC.  It's user friendly to small bikes and more and more am I convinced small is the way to go.

 

Then of course there are the few spots in AB that a big dualie is the bike to have, the Trunk road comes to mind, and after 30 years I finally had my FTR story printed in a National mag.

East of town there are numerous back highways that a larger bike is more suited to, but not too large.  Not to mention a straightaway drive thru very pleasant territory down I 15 to LV and a sharp turn left to the AZ desert, my other home. 




Yup, I have such good friends here and tons of  memories.   Makes me wonder why I've been chasing this country home dream so long.  I mean only my Euro bike ride fantasy trip on a 600cc motorcycle took longer.

 

There must be some romance at work here do you think?

After all, having a place in a little valley to bounce around on my mid size dirt bike at age 60, what appeal is there in that?

Maybe it's proving once again, that bikes rule... and even if your territory shrinks, your world (of 20A) is still, your world.

Gotta be something to it.




Riding the Maritimes, I do very much remember the quiet little towns off the main drag, the ones I loved so much. Tyne Valley, Amherst, Cap Pele, Baddeck.  Sitting on an old wooden porch, having a Coke and Snickers, people speaking French/English, almost like being in Euro.

I can practically smell the salt air now... feel the breeze against my face.

To get there didn't take an overnight plane trip and a pocket full of Euros, just a couple of hours on the seat of a bike.

I will bet, that before long I have some old bike of mine registered and riding on these little back roads, hopefully with my rather youngish sweetie on the pillion, embracing my 4.10X18 midsection.  Yes it may not ever be monster truck size... but we are getting older by the minute.

Still though, I've ridden  22 countries through  Europe, various parts on various bikes in the US both east and west, across every province in this great country, and the fabled Baja peninsula a dozen times.  I've got not one, but many of my exploits published and paid for.  There are a half dozen novels waiting to see the light of day.

 
Could be that a shrinking territory where my Victor 441 or DS6B ride again after so many years, just might be the ticket.

Besides... I can just hop on my TTR 125 and pretend I'm some MX star in my backyard, without interference from uniformed gendarmes telling me

       "You can't ride here."

Only time will tell if this is the right move for the times or was better left in the past.

In the meanwhile, I work on the soon to be reality dream Eco home project, fix up my basement in Silver Springs, and sell some of my most beloved possessions, for like my cats... the MGB, XS2, Seca and Sense, are family to me.

I've had this dream since first riding my Beemer
R 60/5 across the country at 18 years of age.

Didn't quite work out as planned the first time around but yet here I am... heading towards it once again, 37 years on...


No comments:

Post a Comment