Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 1, 2010

A SAD Day for the Dr.

Einstein My Best Friend

1991-March 31, 2010

R.I.P.




Well it's April first, April Fool's day.

There's no joke at my home though I am sad to say.

My Long time companion and Best Friend in the World, Einstein... died yesterday.





He had been with me thru thick and thin for nearly 20 years. After my marriage disintegrated a final death, and I literally lost everything including the business I'd built over the years into 3 stores around the Maritimes, Holly who was then 11, and I moved across Canada a second time, in the dead of winter, days before Christmas.
We rented a third floor 3 bedroom apartment in Abasand Heights. I moved back to Fort Mac Murray to take John up on his offer of my old position back at Four Seasons.


Things were very hard. I had been forced into leaving behind my younger daughter, Lisa. I had no money, and very little self esteem.
What I did have were good friends two girls that loved me and believed in me, and I never gave/give up.
Shortly after arriving, my niece Margaret brings me this sad looking, scruffy, matted, abandoned little male cat.
Reluctantly I took him in.
Why was I reluctant, a cat guy my whole life?
Cuz we lived on the third floor, Holly was in school all day and I worked at the shop. I gave in, and 'Einstein' became a part of our lives.
He was wild at first, hated to be left alone, a condition that existed his entire life. He was always happiest when someone, preferably myself, was around.
In his life he was a Dad and a good one, fathering 6 kittens one Halloween night with Snoopy (whom we'd mistakenly acquired thinking he was a boy, wrong!)
Having accepted a position in Calgary with Pro-Am Motorcycles, then Kawasaki's largest volume CDN dealership, we made the move to Cow town. Snoopy, Scribbles and her Dad Einstein. Holly stayed with Uncle Dean and Aunt Lois until the summer break before joining us in Calgary.


Since those early days, he has lived with us in our current residence in NW Calgary. He has seen my marriage end, a long term relationship come and go. He's seen me live thru a nasty rear end collision here in Calgary on a busy McLeod Trail, where a Mazda driven by a young man in too much of a hurry, rear ended me at a red light. Good thing I was on my trusty XT600, and a good thing I had practiced what I'd preached for so long with the Motorcycle Training Course. Had I not moved when I heard the tires shriek, I'd likely not be writing this now.
He's been thru my trials and tribs that have been my relationship life, my travels and my heart attack and triple bypass. He's waited for me when I've returned, each time... and for an epileptic cat that wasn't supposed to live beyond 5... he's sure surprised us all.



In the 19 years we've been together, Einstein has truly been my pal, my Best Friend. Even if you are not a pet person, imagine having a constant in your life for 2 decades. How many of us has had something/someone like that.
Cats and dogs could teach us humans a thing or three about acceptance, loyalty, unconditional love. They don't care if we're Christian, Muslim or Martian.
They couldn't care less if we are Black, White, Yellow or polka dotted. If we are fat, short or have buck teeth.
It matters not to them that we are, or aren't CEO's rich and famous or dead broke and homeless.
No matter what, as long as they have a home, food and water... and a lap to sit on while a loving hand strokes their fur... they're fine by us.
ps: Thank You to my countless friends that have been so supportive in this.
Grace (who just lost her companion, Spuds)
Barb, who had lost her pal Tecate awhile back
Nicole
Rusty
Tom
Arlene
Liz
Many others
and especially to my girls, Lisa and Holly, as well as Brenda and Anna. They have been there, got to know him, and were loved and accepted.







4 comments:

  1. Hey there Frank... Sorry to hear about the kitty! I met him once myself.
    Hope all is well otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, he was my pal... outlived all the others, including my marriage (thankfully!) and stuck by me thru the worst storms. How goes it anyway, ever get a bike???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes sir I did.
    I bought a 1999 ZRX1100, green of course, from Glen Gaudet. He had a RD350LC when you did.
    The bike has nearly 20,000 kms on it *now* . I put a few thousand on it last summer.
    Having a heart attack at 46, with only the one vice of not getting enough exersize, I decided that I would buy the first motorcycle I came across that suited me, to hell with the cost.
    Thank goodness for good credit!
    I enjoy tinkering as much as riding, and the ZRX has a huge on-line following so hints, ideas, and inspiration are easy to come by.
    The price of a case beer keeps going up so things are still affordable!
    Frank I really enjoy reading your blog, luckily I am a Gemini so I can easily follow your convoluted writings !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Hansel! You know, I should pay more attention to the 'comments' I rarely check. That's a great bike BTW! Green eh... what better color for a Kaw! Keep the faith, glad you're back ON twisting the grip. :) f.

    ReplyDelete