Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Palm trees, Cacti and sand...







Before I left for Europe last April, I made a flying (and I do mean Flying) detour to Phoenix Arizona, USofA. Since my first Baja Motorcycle adventure in the winter of '98, when then partner and I Deb, had used her Mom's home in Surprise as a jumping off point for our two identical XT 600's, I have been fascinated with the desert, the climate and the rugged wilds of the area.


















In the '60's I read articles by one Mr. Frank Conners. Frank rode the paths less travelled and much of the time his choice of mounts were, well let's say, unconventional. From Norton's to Honda Trail 90's, Frank loved the southern deserts. I read about the Superstitions for the first time in his articles. He was a positive influence on a then very young motorcyclist with visions of riding my own bike someday along the Pacific coast or the Florida Keys or the stark yet beautiful southern deserts. Much as I do now, Frank didn't just give directions, nope... he told a story, not just about the road but the people he came across, the heat of the wind, or the icey numbing cold, the pain in the ass as the seat rails dug in, the throttle twisted. To say I wasn't influenced greatly would be like saying a Gold Wing is just another bike.





Anyway, I digress. I have been watching the US housing market for years. I thought if I could ever afford to buy a part time home in the Phx area, I would jump at the chance. The years went by, always disappointed but hopeful. As a financial advisor I watched with great interest as the interest rates climbed then dived for only the second time in decades. The "sub prime mortgage mess" finally created an opportunity and I began looking in earnest in January '09 for a condo that I could park a bike in and lock up when I left.



After procuring a local agent (a must) I narrowed it down to a short 5 day visit in early April, viewed over 40 properties and ended up buying a 2 bed, 2 level condo in a great little location in the city of Glendale, home of the Coyote's (well for a while longer anyway) Oddly enough, of all the places I looked at this was the ONLY one still owned by the original owner, not a foreclosure. Offer made, some negotiation to and fro, paid the then 20% dollar exchange and presto... I had my long sought after southern home.




















Within days of closing, I was on my way back to Hungary to finish my European adventure.




The summer of '09 was a blitz, not in the Panzer/Ardennes sense but really a blur. Of scenery, of smells, of sights and of memories that I will carry with me forever. I wrapped up the 10,ooo kilometers to get me to my goal, rolled thru 22 countries, many more than once, bid goodbye, and winged it home to Canada just in time to leave for a camping adventure with Brenda and Anna. And an adventure it was...




It's been awhile (ok, maybe more than awhile since I've spent any amount of time with an 8 yr old, especially one with ADHD and the challenges that posed.) One of my best friends likens adhd to sitting in a room with 100 televisions all playing a different channel. Hard to stay focused at times. That plus my jet lagged, Euro adrenalin filled brain, and old fashioned way of 'parenting' made for some interesting times.

Thankfully, everyone survived... friends were made, old friends re-visited (hi Ronny) and no flats tires experienced. The HU family came and went and while here in NA... they got to have a pretty good look at our home here in this part of the world. We didn't sit gathering moss much...
Chalk it up to experience.
I returned to Glendale in the fall of 2009, drove the 2500km with Tommy G. to keep me awake. We had a hoot! Talking about computers, bikes, deserts and of course... women. Geez, if you've reached a half century and don't have at least some stories, you haven't lived my friend.



The condo was dusty and musty and after 3 days on the road in the Blazer, DR200 sitting on it's rack, my first impression on entering was "What in the hell was I thinking!" It looked small. Tiny in fact. Like a shoe box, for children's shoes!! Hell... Barbie shoes!!!







I blew up the air mattress while Tom retired in his rented Mazduzee to some posh Glendale hotel, determined to stay in my own place that first night even though he offered the spare bed at the Ritz.






The very next day, I got sick. All of the years moving and shaking, finally hit me like a ton of bricks, after the drive and a sleepless night (I actually went to the 24 hr Walmart down the street to start shopping) Popping pills as Tom drove us around to look at furntiture, a fridge and buffet's... I felt better after a couple of days.





At just over a thousand square feet, a little patio with an orange tree, two pools and very quiet grounds, I was feeling waaaay more positive. By the time it came for my driving pal to fly home (the man with horseshoes up his butt) Tom landed a West Jet flight for USD90 inc taxes, I was in much better spirits.






In 6 weeks I got the pad furnished, cupboards stocked with cups dishes and pots, and some minor repairs done. Way fun it was too. I bought so much stuff late nights at WM, the elderly ladies stopped asking for my receipts... "Oh we don't need to see them, you're that nice young man from Canada."
Ahhhh to be finally appreciated by the opposite sex!
















I didn't get a chance to do much riding then, but I did use the little Doctor for errands, and the like.

No comments:

Post a Comment